English Paper Piercing is cancelled for today. Stay safe and warm at home.
Do you have UFOs piling up at home that you’d like to get quilted? Are your quilt tops too big for your home machine but you’d like to say “I quilted it myself?” Say goodbye to basting and squishing your quilt through the small opening on your machine. It’s easy to conquer those quilts in record time and regain control of your quilt from beginning to end. Rent time on our APQS or Gammill and change those UFO’s into finished quilts!
Our superior stitch regulation means that your stitches will be perfect or even better use the computerized machine. The machine will be ready when you arrive, freshly cleaned and oiled so all you need to do is load your quilt and go!
But I’ve never used a longarm before!
No worries! The machines are super-simple to use, and we’ll teach you everything you need to know in the Certification Class (required of all new renters) to get you off on the right foot. You’ll learn the basics such as machine functions, loading a quilt, basic designs, and more as you tackle your first small quilt right in class.
The Certification Class Tuition is $75, and includes the following:
· Three (3) hours of instruction to give you confidence
· Two (2) Needles to put your quilting stitches in
· One (1) Seam ripper to pull your mistakes out J
What’s included in my Rental Fee?
· The use of a cleaned and oiled APQS or Gammill machine with precision stitch regulator
· The use of our bobbin cases (though we highly recommend you purchase your own so that you can adjust it to the threads you use most frequently)
What is not included in my rental fee?
· Needles (these must be purchased from us to ensure that they are the correct size for our machine and your project)
· Backing fabric (though we have several wide backs available for purchase)
· Batting (we’ve got that, too!)
· Thread for a nominal fee of $10 you have access to our wide assortment of thread colors and types.
What if I can’t finish in one session?
If you need to remove your quilt before you’re done quilting, when you re-load it everything will still be aligned so you can start again. How far you get with your quilt will depend on how fast and how heavily you quilt. Once you’re more experienced, you’ll be able to quilt a full or queen-size quilt with an all-over pantograph or freehand design in about 4 hours or so.
If no one is scheduled after your session is over and there is available time, you may be able to extend your session (additional charges will apply on a pro-rated basis.)
How do I get my quilt ready for quilting?
· Cut your backing and batting at least 6 inches larger all the way around your quilt. If you are using a pantograph, allow for at least 6 inches extra on the top edge.
· The top and bottom edges of your backing should be straight and parallel to each other
· Press the top and backing fabric
· Trim loose threads
· If piecing your backing, remove selvedges first. Try to make a horizontal seam for easier loading if possible
· Do not baste your quilt layers together for longarm quilting
How do I load my quilt on the machine?
We’ll provide detailed instructions in your Certification Class that show you how to attach your quilt. Our system allows you to quickly load and unload your quilt so you aren’t wasting precious rental time just getting ready to go.
We also offer a special Valet Service for customers who want to simply show up and quilt! Drop your quilt off at least two days before your rental time, and for $25 we’ll have your quilt loaded, your thread of choice in place, and bobbins in the machine ready for you when you arrive.
What if I can’t make my reserved rental time?
We realize things come up that interfere with plans. We ask for at least 48 hours’ notice if you must cancel your reservation, and we’ll gladly refund your deposit and rental fee. However, if you notify us in less than 48 hours, we’ll only be able to refund your deposit. Be sure to call and reschedule your rental time so you can get your quilt done!
How much time should I budget to complete my quilt?
While the density of your quilting and your experience level will affect these estimates, if you quilt a large, open design such as meandering these are the suggested completion estimates:
Baby Quilt or Lap Quilt – 2 hours Full Size Quilt – 4 hours King Size Quilt – 7 hours
Twin Size Quilt – 3 hours Queen Size Quilt – 5 hours
Rental Session Fees:
· Effective 09/01/15, the rental rates are $25 (non-computerized) or 35 (computerized) per hour, with a minimum rental period of two (2) hours
· Additional needles sold individually -- $1.00 each
· When scheduling rental time, we will ask for a refundable deposit of $50 and the 2-hour minimum rental fee to be paid in advance.
· We know life can get in the way of best-laid plans. However, we must also be able to make plans if you are unable to keep yours. Your deposit and rental fee will be refunded for cancellations made at least 48 hours (2 full days) prior to reserve rental time.
· Unfortunately, we can only refund the deposit if you must cancel your rental time less than 48 hours prior to your scheduled time.
· We want you to enjoy your quilting experience on our longarm. However, time really does fly when you’re having fun! Therefore, to keep us on schedule, charged rental time will be measured from when you start (such as when you begin loading your quilt) or from when your reservation time starts (whichever is earlier).
· We’ll ooh and aah over your quilt and stop calculating your rental time when you have taken your quilt off the frame and completed the machine clean-up.
· You don’t have to worry about keeping a stop watch as you quilt. We’ll simply round your rental time up to the nearest ¼ hour after the 2-hour minimum. We’ll also alert you when you’ve got about ½ hour left in your scheduled rental time so that you can easily plan for a stopping point and allow plenty of time for unmounting your quilt and machine clean-up time.
· We love to see your smiling face as you quilt! However, since we often have more than one renter scheduled on any given day, your rental time starts at your scheduled time, even if you are not here. Please plan travel time and traffic conditions accordingly. The only exception to this is if the delay is the fault the Quilt Foundry; then the rental time will begin once the machine is ready for rental (and we’ll work with you to adjust your rental time or give you proper credit for time missed renting the machine).
· While we love our children, pets and friends, they can become a distraction and a risk to your quilt’s safety (or to you or our rental machine.) Only the renter is authorized to be in the rental area. Renters must be 18 years old to operate the machine.
· You’ve heard the phrase “Stuff Happens.” Well, that’s the polite way to say it, anyway. We know you will take care of our machine as if it were your own. However, if you have one of those “oops” moments and cause damage to the machine that will require its repair or replacement parts, we’ll work with you to determine what your responsibility may be for repair costs associated with the damage.
· Your mom always told you to wear clean underwear in case you were ever in an accident. We certainly don’t anticipate anything happening to you while you rent the machine that would put that statement to the test. However, you’re still operating industrial machinery. That means you’ll be quilting at your own risk, and we can’t be responsible for damage to you OR to your quilts.
· If it’s been six (6) months since you last rented, we’ll ask you to take a quick Refresher Course before renting at a nominal cost of $35. If you’ve got a great memory, we might be able to waive this if you’re able to demonstrate that you are still competent with the machine’s operation.
The Quilt Foundry agrees to:
· Make available an APQS or Gammill Longarm Machine in good working order for rent.
· Provide training through a Certification Class that covers basic machine safety, operation, threading, loading, and tension, along with basic skills needed to complete a quilt.
· Have the machine cleaned, oiled and ready for rental at the beginning of the agreed-upon rental time.
· We will provide a longarm advisor present during rental time to assist if the renter experiences difficulties or needs help with the machine for a fee of $10.00 per hour.
· Provide additional longarm supplies available for purchase, including but not limited to:
o Bobbin Cases
· Batting, backing and thread are also available for an additional charge.
· You must use our thread. There will be a $10 thread charge per quilt.
________________________________________________, longarm renter, agrees to:
· Rental Session Fees: $25 for non-computerized or $35 for computerized per hour, with a minimum rental period of two (2) hours.
· Pay the full amount due on the day of rental either by cash, check or credit card. Returned checks are charged a $25 fee.
· Pay a $10 thread fee and use our thread, this is to assure good stitch quality.
· Treat the equipment with care, and ask for assistance to perform any changes or adjustments to the machine beyond the scope of information learned in the Certification Class; examples include removing thread jams, changing thread types resulting in significant tension adjustments required, oiling the machine, replacing broken needles, etc.
· Keep the rental area free from food and drink, with the exception of water.
· Keep tools and pins in proper storage containers to avoid damage to the machine, quilt, or to the renter.
· Clean up the machine rental area prior to the rental time’s conclusion by returning patterns, tools and shared supplies to their proper storage locations.
· Quilt your projects and use our equipment at your risk. The renter agrees to not hold the Quilt Foundry responsible for any injury caused to their person, or damage caused to their quilts or other personal property.
Renter: ____________________________________________ Date: ____________
Email: __________________________________ Phone: _______________________
Authorized Store Representative: __________________________ Date: ____________